Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas...

It is a family tradition of our's to have a crappy December/holiday season. This year is no different. In the past, Christmas holidays have consisted of my dad being on life support, my brother being in trouble with the law, blah blah blah.

This year, my grandma (or "Garney" as we call her) is in the hospital with heart problems and I am writing this post sitting in the waiting room at Memorial Hermann Hospital on Christmas Day. Yes, it sounds sad, but I have been thinking about a lot of things this December and I can't help but still have my usual "half glass full" attitude about life.

So, here's my happy list. My December Happy List. I've never had one of these before :)

- My Garney is making huge progress.
- I graduated college. (Whaaaat?!?! ME?!)
- I have laughed until tears came at least 4 times this week.
- The house smells delicious, like, all the time.
- Old Cho-Yeh friends enjoy happy hour just as much as I do!
- I got a job. (this is a huge one).
- I love my job. (this is also really hugely making me happy).
- I am realizing my dream of living in downtown Houston in 3 weeks.
- Warm clothes, a fireplace, and family time fill my soul each night.
- Pretty nail polish in the wintertime means so much more.
- Memorial Hermann Hospital has awesome food.
- We get to pass the zoo each time we visit the hospital.
- I started my very first IRA.
- Family game nights are back! (in the form of crossword puzzles).

And lastly...the thing making me happiest this December...

Knowing that no matter what happens in life, my family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues care about me just as much as I care about them. And THIS is what gets me through every December, year after year.

I hope today is filled with love for everyone, just as it is for me.

 (Photo taken at Lights in the Heights 2010. Love the Christmas Story lamp.)


No comments: